Creating and editing Portfolio ItemsPrint This Page
When you sign in to the web site with a Contributor (or more capable) role, you will be able to see the Admin bar at the top of your screen. Click on “48th Highlanders of Canada” on the left side of this bar to see some of the WordPress Admin page.
Create a new Portfolio Item
To create a new Portfolio Item, you can either:
- Go to the Admin page (called Dashboard) by clicking on “48th Highlanders” in the upper left corner of your screen. Click the “Portfolio Items” menu item on the left of the Dashboard page then click “Add New” or
- Click “+ New” on the Admin bar and select “Portfolio Item.”
When the Portfolio Item page appears, proceed as follows:
- Enter the title of the ‘Portfolio Item.’ If the Portfolio item is to be connected to this day in history, the date MUST be the first thing in the title of the Item.
- Enter the body of the ‘Portfolio item’ in the area indicated. Another way to create the body of your item is to copy the text from a text editor (e.g. MS Word) and paste it into the item body. After you paste, you should click the “Save draft” button near the upper right corner of the screen. You can then continue editing.
- Click the Portfolio Entry tab at the top of the column on the right side of the screen.
- You MUST select the appropriate category. These categories determine in which gallery the Portfolio Item appears. The following categories of Portfolio Items have been created:
- “WW 1 gallery”
- “WW 2 gallery”
- “This day in history”
- You should attach at least one image to the Portfolio Item. (Click HERE for instructions regarding images.)
- When you have finished creating the Portfolio Item click the “Preview” button to see what the Item will look like on the web site.
- When you click the “Submit for Review” button, the Item will be saved as a Draft, and you should log out.
- If you are an Author, Editor or Administrator, you can click the “Publish” button to make the post visible on the web site.
Edit existing Portfolio Item
With the Admin page open, click the “Portfolio Items” menu item on the left of the Admin page then click “Portfolio Items” A list of all Portfolio Items will appear. Find the Portfolio Item you want to edit by:
- Searching for the Portfolio Item using the search field in the upper right corner of the screen or
- Scrolling down the list. (Hint: you can re-sequence the list into date order by clicking on the “Event date” column heading at the top of the list. Clicking a second time will reverse the date order.)
When you find the Portfolio Item you want to edit / republish, hover your mouse over the title of the Portfolio Item and select the appropriate action that will appear below the title. To edit a Portfolio Item, select “Edit.”
IMPORTANT: When you have completed your changes, be sure to click the Update button in the upper right corner of the screen.
Updated 12 May 2021